Tamiya presents the British Challenger 2 MBT to the Military Miniature Series, further adding to the 1/35 scale MM Iraq series of models. Great to build and compare with previously released British MBT including the Centurion (89555), Chieftain (35068) and Challenger 1 (35154) or other vehicles active in Iraq such as the U.S. M1A2 Abrams (35269).
About the Challenger 2
Compared to the Challenger 1 MBT that saw service during the Gulf War, the Challenger 2 features improved second generation Chobham armor capable of withstanding armor piercing and shape charge rounds. The fire control system was updated with the latest digital technology, including a panoramic Commander's sight with built-in laser rangefinder and a thermal gunner's sight. The 120mm L30 rifled main gun provides improved muzzle velocity and accuracy, and enables the Challenger 2 to discharge armor piercing, HESH, smoke and depleted uranium rounds. Special modifications to tanks deployed to Iraq included reactive armor added to the front, composite armor on the sides, a special cover to reduce exhaust heat, canvas skirts to reduce dust ingestion, Commander's Independent Thermal Viewer (CITV) and Combat Identification Panels (CIP).
- Specs & Features:
- Overall length=334mm, Overall width=115mm
- Accurate replication of Challenger 2 tank including new turret and 120mm 55 caliber smoothbore main gun.
- Moveable parts include main gun and CITV.
- Features new accurately replicated tracks and wheels.
- CITV and gunner's sight lens cover can be assembled opened or closed.
- Transparent parts used to replicate gun sight lens, headlights, tail lights and rotating light.
- Commander and loader half-body figures and 3 sets of markings included with kit.
- Accessories to accurately replicate Iraq version including canvas skirts and CIP included.
Tamiya has a reputation for detail and accuracy and this series is a perfect example of this. The Tamiya designers work from measurements and thousands of picture references of the full sizes vehicles, including every detail and facet, to produce the most detailed models in this scale in the world. The quality of these models is such that many museums around the world use the Tamiya 1/35 Military Miniature Series to depict history to the visiting public.
Requires assembly and painting
As with all Tamiya items, instructions are clear and concise, in order to allow the modeller to build a detailed model with relative ease. These assembly kits require paint and modelling glue available separately from all Tamiya dealers.